- 2 Tbsp. of olive oil
- 2–3 sweet onions, such as Vidalias, cut in half lengthwise, then sliced ⅛- to ¼-inch thick
- 1/4 cup red or white wine, beer, broth, balsamic vinegar, or water for deglazing
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper (or to taste)
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. Combine the oil and onions in a nonstick Dutch oven. Cover the Dutch oven with a lid. Bake for 40-45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes, until the onions are deep brown in color.
- Remove the pan from the oven, add the deglazing liquid and quickly scrape up the onion from the bottom and sides of the pan. Season with salt and pepper.