- 5 lb. whole chicken
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4. tsp coarse black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place chicken in roaster and rub with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Bake until internal temperature (taken in the middle of the thigh with an instant-read thermometer) reaches 165°F, about 90 minutes.
- Let chicken rest 15 minutes before carving.
- Using your knife, cut in-between the thigh and breast and follow your cut. Using your hands pull the thigh and leg loose from the chicken body and repeat with the other side. Switch back to your knife and cut between the thigh and leg bone. It’s easy to find if you move the leg and watch where it hinges. Repeat.
- Locate the breast bone in the middle of the breast and cut on both sides of the bone. Use your boning knife to slowly cut the breast from the ribs using short strokes from the tip of the blade. Slice the breast. Repeat.
- Disconnect the wing from the chicken. Repeat on the opposite side. Transfer chicken pieces and slices to a large plate or platter to serve.