- 3 lbs. Yukon gold potatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 tsp. salt, divided
- 8 Tbsp. cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup whole milk, warmed
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Optional: pepper
- Scrub potatoes to remove any dirt. Peel potatoes and cut into 1 inch pieces.
- In large pot, add potatoes, garlic and 1 teaspoon of salt. Cover with cold water, an inch above potatoes.
- Cook over medium high heat and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer and cook for about 10 more minutes, or until potatoes are soft.
- Drain potatoes, add back to pot, and mash with cold, cubed butter until smooth.
- Stir in warm milk and sour cream until incorporated.
- Season with remaining 1 teaspoon of salt and pepper if desired.