How to Make Strawberry Freezer Jam
Strawberry Freezer Jam is super easy to make and hands down, it’s the easiest way to make strawberry jam.
I grew up eating strawberry freezer jam. My mom made a huge batch every spring that would last us through the winter. Just thinking of it brings back fond memories. Sadly, I haven’t carried on this tradition with my own family like I hoped I would – I kept expecting my mom to make a big batch every spring so I could snatch a few jars to keep at my house.
But I finally decided it’s time I started making my own. This Strawberry Freezer Jam is really simple to make (no cooking or canning involved like with Homemade Strawberry Jam) and has just 4 ingredients. With only 10 minutes of prep, you can have a batch of strawberry freezer jam in the freezer.
Steps for Making Strawberry Freezer Jam
- Start by combining the sugar and pectin in a large bowl.
- Next, hull and mash your strawberries. I chose to puree mine using a blender for smoother consistency. If you prefer a chunkier jam, place the strawberries in a flat-bottomed bowl or baking dish and mash them with a potato masher. Stir in some lemon juice, then add the strawberries to the sugar/pectin mixture.
- Stir the jam for 3 minutes to ensure the sugar and pectin are completely dissolved and distributed evenly throughout the mixture then pour the jam into clean containers. You can use any freezer safe container you wish. I chose mason jars but plastic freezer containers work really well too.
That’s it. You’re done. Seal the jars and then store in the fridge for 3 weeks or place in the freezer for up to 1 year. If I’d known making freezer strawberry jam was this easy, I would have started making it years ago. Now I can carry on the tradition my mom started with my own family. So whether you want to start a strawberry freezer jam tradition in your family or simply have a stock of ready-to-use strawberry jam in your freezer, this recipe is sure to hit the mark.
Strawberry Freezer Jam
Yield: 5 (8 oz.) jars
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 and 1/4 cups sugar
- 4 Tbsp. powdered fruit pectin or freezer jam pectin
- 4 cups mashed or pureed strawberries
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- In a medium bowl, stir together the sugar and pectin. Set aside.
- Add lemon juice to mashed strawberries and stir to combine. Combine the strawberry mixture with the sugar and pectin. Stir for 3 minutes.
- Pour strawberry jam into clean jars or other freezer-safe containers, leaving 1/2 inch headspace at the top. Wipe off the rims of the jars with a clean damp cloth, then screw the lids on. Allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes or until thickened. Label and date lids or containers. Place in the freezer for up to 12 months or use immediately, storing in the fridge for 2-3 weeks.