Hard boiled eggs in soup? We are so not kidding. Try it. You’re going to love it. Pinky swear.
When we lived in Toronto we used to get Indian take out from this place that made an insane Gobi Biryani (gobi = cauliflower; biryani = Indian rice dish with many variations).
It had a warm and fairly spicy rice and cauliflower mixture on the bottom and then cold veggies (chopped tomatoes, onions and cilantro, I think) and cold chopped hard boiled eggs on top. That texture-taste-temperature combo inspired this soup.
It’s cauliflower and onion simmered in a spicy broth. Then you stir in yogurt and top each serving with cold chopped hard boiled eggs. Feel free to add tomatoes, onions and cilantro too, for the full-on experience.
Note: If you don’t have time to make hard boiled eggs, you can get them already cooked at the grocery store. Find them in the refrigerated deli section of your grocery store. They usually come in packs of two or six.
- 4 cups low or no-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable or grape seed oil
- 1 small onion
- 1 (2 lb.) head of cauliflower
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (15 oz) can sliced white potatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- a handful of fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 hard boiled eggs
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- Measure the broth into a large microwave-safe bowl. Put it in the microwave for 5 minutes on high power.
- While the broth heats, measure the oil into a large pot or Dutch oven. Set it over medium heat. Peel and chop the onion then add it to the oil. Chop the cauliflower into small florets. To the onions add the curry powder, cumin, salt and red pepper flakes. Stir. Add the cauliflower, drained potatoes, and the hot broth. Cover and increase heat to high. Peel and mince the garlic and add it to the soup. Return the cover and heat until it boils then reduce to a simmer.
- While the soup is heating, chop the cilantro and peel and chop the eggs. Set aside for garnishing later.
- Measure the yogurt into a medium bowl. Remove 1 cup of hot broth from the soup. Stir two tablespoons of hot liquid into the yogurt at a time, stirring continuously until smooth.
- When the cauliflower is softened, remove the pot of soup from the heat. Stir in the yogurt mixture. Ladle soup into bowls and top with cilantro and eggs.