You can make beef and broccoli that tastes amazing in the Instant Pot. The secret is in the cooking method – pressure cooking! It infuses all those flavors faster than ever.
What beef should you use for Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli?
You’ll want to use tender cuts of beef for beef and broccoli. The best types of meat are: eye round, flank steak, beef chuck, stew beef or sirloin. If you cut the meat into small pieces it will cook super-fast
in the Instant Pot. (Don’t have one yet? We love this one.) If you want to make this step even quicker, you can buy and use pre-cut beef strips or stew beef.
How to make Beef and Broccoli in the Instant Pot
Making beef and broccoli in the Instant pot is so convenient. First, prepare the meat. I like to buy a large piece of beef and cut it into strips or cubes. However, beef cubes or strips for stir fry can be used as well to save time.
Next, set your Instant Pot to Sauté on High, then add olive oil. Sauté your meat just until browned, 4-6 minutes, stirring about halfway through.
While the beef is cooking, you make the sauce by whisking together beef broth (or homemade Instant Pot Beef Bone Broth, so delicious!), soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, and minced garlic. Pour that over the beef and stir.
Then add your broccoli florets to the pot. Stir. Put the lid on the Instant Pot and turn the knob to seal. Pressure cook on Manual for zero minutes. Yes, zero. Basically, that brings the pressure cooker up to pressure for just a second, and then it stops. The meat was mostly cooked already from the sauteeing and the broccoli doesn’t need much time at all to cook. You’ll have your finished dish ready in moments!
Once the pressure-cooking has finished, do a Quick Release by turning the knob to Vent.
Take the lid off your Instant Pot and set to Saute. Make a slurry of cornstarch and water and add to the Instant Pot. Stir into the beef and broccoli and cook just long enough to thicken the sauce. Serve this delicious dinner with rice and garnish with freshly sliced green onions or sesame seeds.
Tips for making the perfect Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli.
- I used the IP Lux 80 model of the Instant Pot for this beef and broccoli so you may have slightly different results if you are using a different model.
- While this recipe calls for low-sodium soy sauce, you can use regular soy sauce if you’d like. I think the combination of salty and sweet are perfect in this recipe using lower sodium soy sauce.
- In this recipe you can use fresh or frozen broccoli florets (no need to defrost!). If using fresh, buying pre-cut broccoli is a real time-saver.
- To make the slurry, pour the water and cornstarch into a jar and shake it well. Make and add the slurry of cornstarch and water at the end of the cook time so it doesn’t burn to the bottom or separate. Slurries don’t do well under pressure. Just turn on the Instant Pot to Sauté and pour the mixture over the beef and broccoli. Bring to simmer for about 30 seconds. Watch the mixture closely and once the sauce thickens, turn off the Instant Pot.
- Serve the beef and broccoli immediately or remove from the Instant Pot to a bowl to prevent overcooking.
- 1 lb. beef cut into strips (eye round, stew beef, flank steak, etc.)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3/4 cup no salt added beef broth or homemade Instant Pot Beef Bone Broth
- 1/3 cup less sodium soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 5 cups broccoli florets (fresh or frozen)
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- Turn your Instant Pot to Sauté, press Adjust, select More. Once the Instant Pot reads Hot, add olive oil and beef strips. Sauté until browned, about 4-6 minutes. Be careful not to burn your meat on the bottom of the Instant Pot. Stir the meat often.
- In a medium bowl make a sauce by combining beef broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, and garlic. Set aside.
- Once you’re done sautéing the beef, add the sauce. Stir.
- Add the broccoli and stir.
- Put the lid on your Instant Pot and turn the knob to seal. Set the cook time to Manual and set for zero minutes.
- After it’s done, turn the knob to Vent to do a Quick Release.
- In a small bowl make a slurry of water and cornstarch.
- Turn your Instant Pot to Sauté, press Adjust, select Normal. Add water and cornstarch to the beef and broccoli. Mix everything together and watch closely so the mixture doesn’t burn on the bottom of the pot. Once the sauce is thickened turn off the Instant Pot.
- Serve immediately or remove beef and broccoli from the Instant Pot to prevent from overcooking.