Hearty Beef Stew tastes delicious any time of the year but it can be a lengthy process to make, requiring hours to simmer to perfection. Enter the Instant Pot. Now you can have that bowl of comfort in much less time.
What beef should you use for beef stew?
How should you thicken beef stew in the Instant Pot?
- 1 and 1/2 lbs. cubed stewing beef or chuck
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3/4 lb. small Yukon Gold potatoes, halved
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 onion, cut into 6 wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 and 1/2 cups beef stock or homemade beef bone broth
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp. crushed rosemary
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 1/8 cup chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Generously season the beef with salt and pepper.
- Set a 6-Quart Instant Pot to Sauté. Add the olive oil. When hot, add the beef. Cook 5-10 minutes, turning after each side is browned, until deeply browned on all sides.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, onion, garlic, beef stock, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, thyme and bay leaves. Cover with the lid and lock in place, making sure the vent is set to sealing.
- Cook under high pressure for 20 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes.
- Use a gravy separator (like this one) to skim the fat from the liquid.
- Mix together the flour and eater to form a smooth paste. Stir the paste into the stew. Set the Instant Pot to Sauté and simmer for 10 minutes or until the gravy is thickened.
- Adjust the seasonings to taste. Garnish with parsley.