Instant Pot Burrito Bowls make dinner a breeze! The base cooks all together in about 30 minutes while you prep the toppings.
Burrito bowls were one of the first things I made when I got my Instant Pot, and they quickly became a family favorite. This recipe is similar to our Chipotle Chicken Burrito Bowl, but cooking the meat, beans, and rice together in one pot makes getting a nutritious dinner on the table easier. Once the base is done, serve the toppings individually so everyone can customize their bowl with their favorite toppings like fresh salsa, olives, sour cream, and avocado.
For the base of these pressure cooker burrito bowls, we use sliced bell peppers and onions along with diced boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs, and canned black beans. I also like to add frozen corn and chili powder for flavor. Next we add salsa and chicken broth. We mix all these ingredients together then add the rice. It’s important not to stir the ingredients after you add the rice before cooking it.
After the above mixture is cooked, stir in the cheese. No burrito bowl is complete without cheese, right? The shredded cheddar gets added right into the pot and you put the lid back on for a minute so it gets super melty and gooey.
What kind of salsa should you use?
Skip the fancy fresh salsas for this recipe — you’re looking for a standard thick salsa for this recipe. Jarred salsa adds liquid that helps the rice cook and adds even more flavor. You can use hot, medium, or mild depending on your preferences. I’ve even made these burrito bowls with tomatillo salsa before.
What kind of rice should you use?
For this recipe, you’ll want to use long grain white rice. Skip minute rice or any other quick cooking rice, which will get overcooked and gummy in the pressure cooker. Also, for best results (and to help avoid that pesky burn notice) remember not to stir the rice into the pot.Print
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, diced
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Chopped tomatoes
- Black olives
- Sour cream
- Green onions
- Set your Instant Pot to Sauté. Once it’s hot, add the oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add the onion and cook 3-4 minutes, until softened.
- Turn off your Instant Pot and stir in the peppers, chicken, and chili powder. Next, mix in the beans, corn, and salsa then the chicken broth.
- Add the rice. Be sure not to stir at this point.
- Set the Instant Pot to high and set the timer for 10 minutes. Lock the lid in place and set the vent to sealing.
- When finished cooking, release the pressure manually.
- Stir in the cheese and place the cover back on the pot for a minute or two to help it melt. Stir well.
- Divide the chicken and rice mixture among serving dishes and let each diner add their own toppings.