Thanks to the Instant Pot you can have a comforting one pot American-style goulash in no time. Plus, cooking it under pressure infuses all those flavors while it cooks.
What Is American Goulash?
American-style goulash is a fast one pot meal made with ground beef, canned tomatoes, pasta and paprika. This comfort dish is perfect for weeknight dinner and has a different name depending where you live in the country. You may know it as Macaroni and Beef, Slumgullion or American Chop Suey.
You will find that ingredients also vary a little in each of these types of American goulash, but I made the basic version of the recipe using only ground beef, tomatoes and elbow pasta. Another fun fact I found is that it was very popular in school cafeterias some years ago. Is this a dish from your school years?
What Beef Should You Use For Instant Pot Goulash?
The best meat for American goulash is ground beef, which cooks very quickly. I like to use lean ground beef but you could use any type you want. Feel free to swap in ground chicken or turkey also if you don’t use beef.
How To Make Goulash In The Instant Pot
Making goulash in your Instant Pot is very quick and requires only a few ingredients. Best of all, you don’t sacrifice flavor by making it this way. If anything, you infuse those flavors together faster. First, set your Instant Pot to saute, add onion and cook for about 2 minutes. After that, add beef and saute for about 6-8 minutes. When the meat is browned with barely any pink remaining, you can add the sauce.
To make the delicious sauce, add beef broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt, paprika and black pepper. After that, add elbow macaroni.
Put the lid on the Instant Pot, close the seal and set it to Manual, then select 5 minutes. Yes, only 5 minutes is required to make this comforting dish. After 5 minutes of cooking, do a quick release and enjoy dinner.
Helpful Tips For Making Instant Pot Goulash
- I used the IP Lux 80 model so keep in mind you may have slightly different results if you use a different model.
- Make sure to stir the onion and ground beef during sauteing. This will prevent the meat from sticking to the bottom of your Instant Pot.
- Remove the goulash from the Instant Pot after cooking rather than letting it sit there on warm. You don’t want your pasta to become soggy.
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 5 cups no salt added beef broth (or homemade beef bone broth)
- 1 can (14 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 2 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ⅛ tsp. black pepper
- 3 cups elbow macaroni
- Turn your Instant Pot to Saute, press Adjust and select More. Once the Instant Pot reads Hot, add oil and onion. Saute for 2 minutes. Stir often.
- Add ground beef and saute for 6-8 minutes, crumbling the meat as it browns.
- Add beef broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt, paprika and black pepper.
- Add elbow macaroni and stir.
- Put the lid on the Instant Pot and turn the valve to seal. Select Manual and set to cook for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, turn the valve to Venting for Quick Release.
- Remove the goulash from the Instant Pot to prevent overcooking.