- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 1 medium lemon
- 8 big fresh basil leaves, divided
- 1 ounce simple syrup
- 1 ounce tequila
- Put the salt on a plate and use it to rim a highball or margarita glass. (Not sure how to rim a glass? Find out here).
- Into a bowl, squeeze all the juice out of the remainder of the lemon. Measure 1 ounce of juice into a cocktail shaker. Use your fingers to tear 6 of the basil leaves into the shaker. Add the simple syrup. Muddle everything around for at least a minute. Go on and pummel and bruise the basil leaves, really extracting all their flavor.
- Add the tequila and stir it around a bit. Add 1 cup of ice. Put the lid on the shake it. Sh-sh-shake it.
- Fill the salt-rimmed glass with ice. Tear in the remaining two basil leaves. Strain the tequila mixture over top of the basil and ice.