- 2 slices bread
- 2 tsp. softened butter or mayonnaise
- 2 deli-style cheese slices
- Preheat grill for direct grilling over medium heat.
- Spread one side of each slice of bread with softened butter or mayonnaise. (If you’re questioning the mayonnaise on the outside of a grilled cheese, have a look over here to find out about it). Flip the bread slices over. Put the cheese slices onto one slice of bread. Invert the other bread onto it so that it is butter-side-up.
- Transfer the sandwich to the preheated grill. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until grill marks appear. Shift the sandwich around, moving it 90 degrees. Cook for another minute or two, to get those lovely hash marks.
- Flip the sandwich over and repeat on the second side, cooking for 2-3 minutes to get the initial grill marks and then turning the sandwich 90 degrees to create hashmarks.
- By that point the cheese will be nice and melted inside the sandwich. Remove the sandwich from the grill and eat.