- 1 Tbsp. oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 sprigs thyme or 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 and ½ lbs. ground chuck
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 cup beef broth (low sodium)
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- In medium sauté pan, on medium-high heat, heat oil. Add the onions and carrots and cook stirring occasionally until soft, about 5-6 minutes. Add garlic and thyme and stir. Immediately add in the ground beef, salt and pepper. Stir occasionally and cook the meat through, about 7-8 minutes. Drain excess fat.
- To meat, add flour and tomato paste. Stir until incorporated and cook for 1-2 minutes to dissolve flour. Add in beef broth and Worcestershire sauce.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer, stirring occasionally until very thick, 2-3 minutes. Remove thyme sprigs. Taste and season with salt and pepper.