- 1 Tbsp. neutral oil (like vegetable or grapeseed)
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 medium baking potatoes
- 4 (8 oz.) bottles of clam juice
- 2 ribs of celery
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- ½ tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- ¼ tsp. hot sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 4 (6.5 oz.) cans chopped clams with juice
- Put the oil and butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Finely dice the potatoes (¼-inch cubes is great). Add the potatoes to the pot. Stir and cover.
- Pour the clam juice into a microwave-safe bowl and heat it in the microwave on high for 5 minutes.
- While the clam juice heats, finely chop the celery. Add it to the potatoes along with the salt. Stir and cover. Peel and chop the onion. Add it to the pot with the potatoes. Stir and cover. Mince the garlic. Add the garlic along with the tomato paste and thyme. Cook and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add the hot clam juice to the pot along with the diced tomatoes and the hot sauce. Increase heat to high, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Open the cans of clams and put the clams along with the juice from the cans into the soup. Stir. Cook until the clams are very well heated through, 3-4 minutes. Taste and add more salt and/or hot sauce if desired.