- 1 large egg
- 1/2 lb. ground beef (20% lean, 80% fat)
- 1/2 lb. ground pork
- 1 /2 cup white rice
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium russet potato, peeled and chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium white onion, chopped (about 1 and 1/2 cups)
- 3 medium carrots, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 green pepper, chopped (about 1 and 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped (about 1 and 1/ 2 cups)
- 1 box (32 oz.) chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (15 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 oz.) tomato sauce
- Lemon and cilantro, for serving
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg until beaten. Add the ground beef, ground pork, rice and garlic. Season with cumin, salt and pepper.
- Lightly mix together with hands until incorporated, being careful not to over mix. Roll into 3/4 – 1 inch balls – you should have about 30-35 of them. Set aside.
- Heat large stock pot over medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add potatoes, onion and carrots to pot. Cook for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add green pepper and zucchini to pot. Cook for 3-4 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add broth, water, diced tomatoes and tomato sauce to pot and bring to a boil.
- Carefully add meatballs into pot, stirring so they are all submerged, and lower heat to medium-low. Simmer for about 20-25 minutes, until rice is tender and meatballs are cooked through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Finish with a squeeze of lemon and top with chopped cilantro.