Mini quiches are always cute but these are cuter than ever because they’re baked in a toasted bread crust.
As we thought about ideas for this egg series it was a no-brainer that we had to figure out how to bake eggs inside of toast, because what goes better with eggs than toast? You’re not going to believe how simple these are, or how adorable.
How To Make Toast Cups
All you do is take some slices of bread, cut off the crusts, and then use a rolling pin to flatten them down. Cut them into rounds and then push them into a non-stick muffin tin. Then, put them into a 350°F oven for a few minutes to start them toasting.
Making Mini Quiches
While your toast cups are in the oven, whisk together your eggs and some milk with some salt and pepper.
Put some fillings into the toast cups. I’ve gone with mozzarella, basil, and tomatoes. Then pour the whisked egg mixture over top and put the muffin tin into the oven immediately. You don’t want the wet eggs to start soaking into the bread too much because that will make it soggy.
Bake until the egg is set, 12-15 minutes. If desired, put them under the broiler for a couple of minutes to brown the toast a bit. Use a plastic knife to loosen the cups from the tins and then serve immediately. These are good later as well but the toast gets a bit soft.Print
- 6 slices of bread
- 2 large eggs
- ⅔ cups whole milk
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- 6 fresh basil leaves
- 2 slices of tomato, each cut into 3 pieces
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut crusts off of bread slices and cut into rounds that are bigger than the muffin tin cups.
- Push slices of bread into muffin tin cups. Put into oven to dry a bit, 3-4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk eggs. Stir in milk, salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle cheese into bread cups in muffin tin. Tear a basil leaf into each cup. Top with a piece of tomato.
- Divide egg mixture between muffin cups and immediately put into oven.
- Bake until egg is set, 12-15 minutes.
- If desired, turn on broil and broil the quiches until toast is browned at the top, 1-3 minutes.