The cheesy goodness of mozzarella stuffed meatballs can be our little secret until your family bites into them. Dinner win!
Whether you’re looking to jazz up dinner or for a fun party app for your next family gathering, these mozzarella stuffed meatballs are a great idea and they’re easy. Making meatballs should never be complicated, even when they are stuffed with cheese so make sure you check out all our tips on how to make the best meatballs so the outside tastes as good as that delicious melty cheesy center.
How to Make Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs
Get your meatball ingredients into a bowl.
Mix it up using your hands, but don’t over mix or it will make the meat tough. Then roll it into golf ball-sized balls.
Once you roll your ball, flatten it out and add a small ball of piece of mozzarella and shape the meat around it. (One way to cut down on prep time is to buy mini mozzarella balls, which you can find in the specialty cheese department of most grocery stores.)
Then you put them on a baking sheet and bake them. Easy peasy!
You can definitely panfry these on the stove instead of baking them but here’s the thing. I prefer baking them because you can cook larger batches at a time. Larger batches means less time spent cooking, which means more time enjoying meatballs.
Secondly, baking meatballs will still result in a flavorful option since you can sear the outside under the broiler in your oven. You just bake them until they’re cooked through and then broil them at the end to get a nice, tasty crust. Choose your own adventure, guys. I’ll just be over here baking up a batch of these for my family if you need me for something.
- ½ lb. ground beef
- ½ lb. ground pork
- ½ cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- ¼ cup finely chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 15 mini fresh mozzarella cheese balls
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In bowl, combine ground beef, ground pork, breadcrumbs, egg, onion, parsley, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly. Shape the mixture into 1 inch balls and place them on a cutting board. Flatten each meatball, place a mini mozzarella ball in the middle, then roll it back into a ball, making sure the cheese is covered completely. Place on the baking sheet.
- Bake until no longer pink inside, about 18-20 minutes, then broil on high for another 10 minutes for a deliciously crispy crust. Remove from oven. Serve immediately.
This post originally appeared in February 2018 and was revised and republished in February 2021.