- 2 tsp. cooking oil
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can black beans, drained
- 1 cup chicken or beef broth
- 1/2 cup jarred queso or melted velveeta
- Optional meat*
- ½ cup salsa
- ½ cup sliced black olives
- 2 Tbsp. jarred jalapeno rings, drained
- Optional toppings***
- In a deep large skillet heat the oil over medium heat. Add the rice, chili powder, garlic powder, and salt. Stir for a minute.
- Add the canned diced tomatoes, black beans, and broth. Stir.
- Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover (if your skillet doesn’t have a lid, use a double layer of aluminum foil or a large cookie sheet).
- Cook until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the queso and any cooked meat, if using. Allow to heat through for 2 minutes.
- Top each serving with salsa, black olives, jalapenos, and any other optional toppings that you’d like.
*You can use 2 cups of diced or shredded cooked chicken, cooked ground beef or chicken, pulled pork, or cooked shrimp.
***If you have any of the following ingredients, top each serving with some or all of them: diced fresh tomatoes, green onions, shredded cheese or crumbled queso fresco, cilantro, diced avocado, guacamole, sour cream or plain Greek yogurt.