When you’re craving fried chicken but don’t want to deal with the frying, Oven Fried Chicken will satisfy your craving – minus the excess fat.
Fried chicken is a delicious finger lickin’ food, but it can also be very messy and less than healthy. While we love to indulge in our easy Classic Deep Fried Chicken, sometimes it’s nice to have some lighter fare to fill those cravings.
This oven fried chicken does just that. You get the flavor and crispiness of regular fried chicken, but baked in the oven.
Secrets For Amazing Oven Fried Chicken
One of our secrets to this is to mix the breadcrumbs with a bit of oil before adhering them to the chicken. This helps the crumbs brown and get crunchy all over. Plus, you want to use Panko breadcrumbs instead of the finer breadcrumbs for extra crunch.
Our second secret is in how we bake it. Instead of baking the chicken right on the sheet pan, we put a wire rack between the two. This allows for nice, even baking on both sides of the chicken. Sure, you don’t have to use the wire rack – but then you’d have to flip the chicken over half way through – adding an extra step. And who wants more steps when you can have crispy juicy oven fried chicken in 30 minutes?
Try serving with some amazing Air Fryer Potato Wedges. Yum!Print
- 2 egg whites
- ¾ cup panko bread crumbs
- ⅓ cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs or a mixture
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper then set a wire rack on the sheet and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg whites together. In another medium bowl, combine the panko, parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Add the olive oil and toss to moisten everything.
- Dip chicken in the egg whites, then dredge each chicken tender in the panko cheese mixture, gently pressing it onto the chicken, then place on the prepared wire rack/baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F on an instant-read thermometer. Remove from the oven and allow to rest 5 minutes before serving.
This post originally appeared in April 2019 and was revised and republished in June 2022.