If you’re stuck at home and missing pizza, don’t worry! You can make this pizza soup using only pantry ingredients in under 15 minutes. It’s quick, satisfying, and so delicious!
If you’re in a situation where all of your local restaurants have shut down, and you’re craving pizza, I’ve got you covered. This pizza soup has all the flavors of pizza but is made completely from pantry ingredients.
Honestly, the only ingredient in this soup that isn’t a pantry staple is the mozzarella cheese. If you don’t have any mozzarella cheese in your fridge, you can use any cheese that you do have. If you don’t have any cheese at all in your fridge, a good sprinkling of powdered grated Parmesan cheese (you know, from that shelf-stable green container) does the trick.
To start, if you have an onion and/or a bell pepper, chop those up and saute them in a soup pot in some oil. If you don’t have those, it’s totally fine. Just start putting your canned ingredients into the pot. Go in with some beef stock, canned diced tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Note that if you happen to have the kind of diced tomatoes that also has chopped bell pepper and onion in it, use those. That way you get that supreme-pizza pepper-and-onion thing going on.
Also add in some seasonings. I like oregano, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. You could add basil too.
Let all of that come up to a boil and then reduce the heat. Now you stir in your real pizza toppings. Canned mushrooms, black olives, and some sliced pepperoni are where it’s at!
That all simmers together for a few minutes. Then you just ladle the soup into bowls and top it with cheese. Yum! I hope you find this soup as fun and tasty as I do!
- Optional vegetables*
- 3 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 (28oz. can) petite diced tomatoes**
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 tsp. dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 tsp. coarse black pepper
- a pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 (6 oz.) package of shelf-stable sliced pepperoni, roughly chopped
- 6 oz. jarred or canned sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives, drained
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (optional)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Put a large pot or Dutch oven on high heat. Add the broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, oregano, black pepper, and red pepper flakes, if using. Stir and cover. When it comes to a simmer, reduce heat to low.
- Stir in the pepperoni, mushrooms, and black olives. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes to blend flavors.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with mozzarella, if using, and Parmesan cheese.
*If you have any of the following vegetables, heat 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in the pot you’re going to use to make the soup. Add the vegetables and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3-5 minutes. Then add the ingredients specified in Step #1 and continue with the recipe. Optional vegetables: 1 small onion (chopped), 1 green bell pepper (chopped).
**If you have a can of diced tomatoes that also contains bell pepper and onions, use that.