- 2 cups mini shells (or other pasta with 6 minute cooking time)
- 4 strips bacon, roughly chopped (optional)
- Optional vegetables*
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups low or no-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. dry thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp. dry rosemary leaves
- a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 (15.5 oz.) can cannellini beans, drained
- 1 (15.5 oz.) can lima beans, drained
- Optional canned vegetables**
- Shredded or grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Cook mini shells according to package instructions, drain.
- Meanwhile, put a large pot over medium heat. Add the bacon. Cook 2 minutes.
- Add any optional vegetables that you’re using, if any. Stir and cook until bacon is starting to crisp, 4-5 minutes.
- Into the large pot that is set over medium heat, put the crushed tomatoes, stock, garlic powder, thyme, rosemary, red pepper flakes, and salt. Stir.
- Add cannellini and lima beans. Stir. Increase heat to high. Cover. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer. Stir in canned vegetables, if using. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Put some cooked and drained pasta into soup bowls and top with hot soup. Garnish with Parmesan, if desired.
*If you have any onion, celery, bell pepper, or carrots, you can use these here. Add one or all or any combination of the following: 1 small onion (chopped), 2 ribs celery (chopped), 1 green bell pepper (chopped), 2 carrots (finely chopped).
**You can optionally add up to 2 cans of drained vegetebles, such as sliced carrots, corn, peas, or cut green beans.