- 2 (8 oz.) bottles clam juice
- 1 (28 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 2 poblano peppers (or use 1 large bell pepper)
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ tsp. dry basil
- ⅛ tsp. dry oregano
- ¼ tsp. coarse black pepper
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- 1 cup dry red wine
- ½ lb. cod
- ½ lb. live mussels (buy them already debearded and cleaned)
- ¾ lb. deveined large shrimp with shells on
- 4 fully cooked crab claws, sometimes called cocktail claws (for garnish)
- 12 fresh basil leaves (for garnish)
- Pour clam juice and diced tomatoes into a large microwave-safe bowl. Heat on high for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat while you chop onion. Add onion to pot. Seed, core, and chop poblano peppers and add to the pot.
- Peel and finely chop garlic. Add to pot along with dry basil, oregano, black pepper and salt.
- Stir, then add wine. Increase heat to high and bring to a simmer.
- Pour hot clam broth mixture into pot. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer.
- While the soup is heating, cut cod into 1-inch pieces. Rinse mussels in cold water.
- Once the soup is simmering, add cod and mussels. Cook until mussels are open and the fish is cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- Add shrimp and stir occasionally until all are pink.
- Ladle into large bowls and top each with a cooked crab claw and a few fresh basil leaves.