- 2 (28oz.) cans of petite diced tomatoes
- 2 cups ice cubes
- 3 inches of cucumber
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/2 of a small red onion
- 1/2 jalapeño or hot red chili
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. coarse black pepper
- 1 lime
- fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Put a strainer over a medium bowl. Open the cans of tomatoes and dump them into the strainer. To the strained juices add 2 cups of ice cubes. Set aside. Put the strained tomatoes into a separate large bowl.
- Chop the cucumber, bell pepper and red onion and add them to the diced tomatoes. Seed and mince the jalapeño. Mince the garlic clove. Add them both to the tomatoes along with the olive oil, cumin, Worcestershire, salt and black pepper. Juice the lime and add it as well.
- Transfer 2 cups of the vegetable mixture to a blender along with the drained juices and any unmelted ice cubes. Puree. Mix the puree in with the vegetables. Add another cup of ice and stir well. Ladle into bowls (avoiding transferring any unmelted iced cubes). Garnish with basil leaves.