A simply pretty appetizer with so much flavor. These little mouthfuls are a crowd-stunner. No doubt.
Berries and Basil
Ummm… have I mentioned my love of berries and basil? So there was the Chicken with Brie, Raspberries and Basil, the Grilled Strawberry Shortcake with Basil Whipped Cream, the Strawberry Basil Frozen Yogurt, and now, one more time. Here we go.
Raspberry and Basil Canapes
This is such a pretty, and such a delicious, little appetizer. You mix together cream cheese, sour cream, and balsamic vinegar and then dollop that onto a bunch of crackers. To each cracker add a fresh raspberry and a basil leaf. Done. So simple, so good, and that flavor combo. Heck yeah!Print
- 2 Tbsp. whipped cream cheese (you buy it already whipped and fluffy, in a tub right next to the regular tubs of cream cheese)
- 2 Tbsp. sour cream (full fat and light both work here. I avoid fat-free)
- ½ to 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 20 crackers
- 20 fresh raspberries
- 20 small basil leaves
- In a small bowl combine the cream cheese, sour cream, ½ teaspoon of balsamic vinegar, and a pinch of salt. Taste. I find that some balsamic vinegars are more potent than others. If your mixture has a nice subtle vinegar flavor with a touch of sweetness, you’re good to go. If you can’t really taste the balsamic, add a little bit more and even another pinch of salt and then taste again.
- Put a ½ teaspoon dollop of the creamy mixture onto each cracker. Use the sauce as a glue to stick a single raspberry and a single basil leaf onto each cracker.
This post originally appeared in June 2016 and was revised and republished in May 2021.