- ⅓ cup panko bread crumbs
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ + ⅛ tsp. salt, divided
- ⅛ tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- ¾ lb. chicken breasts, cut into ¼ inch cubes
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh thyme leaves (1 tsp. dried leaves)
- 2 tsp. all-purpose white flour
- 4 red bell peppers, halved from stem to base and de-seeded
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- In a small bowl combine the panko, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, olive oil, and ⅓ cup of the shredded cheese. Use your fingers to rub the crumbs and cheese together until the bits of cheese are about the size of the larger crumbs. Set aside.
- In a second bowl combine the chicken, thyme, ¼ teaspoon of salt, the remaining ⅔ cup cheese, and the flour.
- Brush the outsides of the peppers lightly with olive oil (about 1 tablespoon will be enough for them all) and sprinkle lightly with salt. Arrange them on a baking sheet cup-side-up. Fill each half of pepper with approximately 1/4 cup of the chicken filling and then top each with about 1 tablespoon of the crumbs.
- Bake until the chicken is cooked through and the crumbs on top are golden brown, 22-25 minutes.