Basil is besties with dark green veggies, like here in this Roasted Asparagus side dish. Enjoy!
As you know, we’re doing this whole series on basil right now. It’s such an incredible flavor, and it goes with so many thing. Yet, for whatever reason, we tend to stick to the same old tomato, mozzarella, garlic thing. Today I’m challenging to get out of your basil rut and try it with something new. Here’s a list of 10 surprising things basil goes with.
Basil With Dark Green Veggies
In that list we mention broccoli and spinach. Yes, dark green veggies and basil are friends, which is why today’s recipe works so well. Basil and asparagus also go together. Basil really brightens up the asparagus. The pistachios too are a nice flavor with basil and they add some good crunch and texture. You’re going to love this side dish.
Roasted Asparagus With Basil
For this deliciously green side dish, arrange the asparagus on a large baking sheet while the oven preheats. The pistachios get shelled and roughly chopped and sprinkled on top. Then it’s a drizzle of olive oil and some salt and into the oven it goes.
The asparagus gets roasted until it’s bright and tender, usually 12-15 minutes, but if your asparagus is especially thick or thin you may need to adjust. The fresh basil leaves get torn and added on top before serving. Enjoy!Print
- 1 lb. asparagus, trimmed
- 1 oz. roasted, salted pistachios
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 12 basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Arrange asparagus in a single layer on a large baking sheet.
- Shell and roughly chop the pistachios. Sprinkle them over the asparagus. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Roast until bright green and tender, 12-15 minutes depending on thickness of the asparagus.
- Transfer asparagus and pistachios to a serving plate and gently tear the basil leaves over top.
This post originally appeared in June 2016 and was revised and republished in May 2021.