You know how salty and sweet just go together? And you know how pumpkin seeds are just the best treat ever? Combine the three and you have the perfect snack.
We learned the basics of making pumpkin seeds and which method works the best. Now it’s time to play with flavor! What better way to start than Salty Sweet Pumpkin Seeds?
What Seasonings Should I Use?
These Salty Sweet Pumpkin Seeds are the ultimate favorite pumpkin seed variation in our house. The sweet flavor comes from brown sugar and the salty comes from Montreal Steak Seasoning.
Montreal Steak Seasoning has salt and pepper, of course, onion and garlic flavors as well as herb notes, usually including rosemary and coriander. It’s the perfect blend of savory lightened by the green herb flavors.
- 1 and 1/2 cups pumpkin seeds (patted dry of any liquid)
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp. packed brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. steak seasoning (like Montreal Steak Seasoning)
- Preheat the oven to 300°F. Line a large pan with parchment paper.
- Add the pumpkin seeds and the oil. Stir to coat them well. Add the brown sugar and steak seasoning. Roast the seeds until they are dry and crisp, 30-40 minutes, stirring once halfway through roasting.
- Transfer the pan to a cooling rack to cool the seeds before eating. Transfer to a serving bowl or store roasted pumpkin seeds for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
This post originally appeared in October 2016 and was revised and republished in October 2021.