Sangria is the perfect drink for any party, and sangria slushies? You need this summery recipe like yesterday!
Frozen Sangria takes all the fruity, bold and bright flavors of traditional sangria and blends them into a cool, refreshing drink – perfect for summer sipping. (If you want to take it up an even higher notch, we recommend making Sangria Slushies and our Frozen Rosé for your next party).
Traditionally, sangria is a punch made from dry red wine that’s been infused with fresh fruits (or frozen berries like we’re using), a little Simple Syrup and some brandy or orange liqueur, along with soda water. Our sangria slushie has all of those things blended with ice to make it so cold and thick.
Don’t be shy with your wine here. You want to use a flavorful, big red wine because it does get a little watered down from blending it with ice. Choose a dry red wine like a cabernet, merlot or shiraz. We’re going to combine all of the ingredients, just like you would in traditional sangria, but then let them chill in the freezer overnight. Then we add the berries and blend in a high-powered blender (like this one).
If it tastes a little strong, give it a splash of club soda. Either way, you’ll be sipping on frozen sangria all summer long.Print
- 1 (750 mL) bottle dry red wine (like cabernet or merlot), chilled
- ½ cup brandy
- ½ cup Simple Syrup
- 4 Tbsp. lemon juice (juice from about one lemon)
- 3 cups frozen berries (mix of strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries)
- 16 oz. club soda
- Apple and citrus slices for garnish
- In a plastic freezer bag, combine wine, brandy, simple syrup and lemon juice.
- Freeze overnight or until slushy. The alcohol will prevent this from freezing solid.
- Blend slush with frozen berries until smooth and serve immediately. Garnish with apple and citrus slices and club soda if desired.