Garlic lovers rejoice. You can now enjoy chicken with 40 cloves of garlic without having to watch the stove.
I’m a firm believer in the fact that anything, yes ANYTHING, can be made in a slow cooker. Don’t believe me? Check out this amazing Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan with crunchy breadcrumbs and all… or slow cooker Coq au Vin… or orange chicken delivered by the slow cooker instead of your favorite takeout restaurant.
Today though, we’re stepping up your slow cooker game even more. We’re taking the classic Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic and slowing things down. This recipe is traditionally made in the oven and cooked for 1-2 hours, depending on the size of your bird. We’re doing it more slowly in the slow cooker. If you’re pressed for time, we also have this quicker 40 Clove Garlic Chicken recipe.
But the magic of this recipe is the garlic – I mean, there are 40 cloves! As garlic cooks, the pungent flavor is replaced with a softer and sweeter intensity. That’s why I like making this recipe in my slow cooker. Plus, the additional cooking time allows for the intense garlic flavor and the cloves themselves to soften. Spread the cloves on top of the chicken after it is cooked or smash them on a piece of crusty bread and dunk it in the leftover jus.
Because this is a slow cooker dish, it couldn’t be simpler to make. Put all the ingredients in the slow cooker, add some fresh thyme for good measure and then let it do its thing. This elegant chicken dinner is best served with a slice of crusty bread and a glass of wine.Print
- Cooking spray
- 1 lemon, divided
- 2 cups low or no-sodium chicken stock
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted and cooled
- 1 and 1/2 lbs. boneless and skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tsp. salt, divided
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 and 1/2 lbs. medium red potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
- 40 garlic cloves, peeled
- 15 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Spray the slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Cut the lemon in half. Juice half of it into a small bowl. Cut the other half into wedges. Set wedges aside for serving.
- To the lemon juice add the stock, flour, and butter. Whisk to combine. Pour mixture into the slow cooker.
- Use 1 teaspoon of the salt and ½ teaspoon of the pepper to season the chicken thighs. Place them into the slow cooker.
- Add potatoes, garlic, and thyme over the chicken. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- To serve, discard thyme and arrange potatoes and garlic on a platter. Top with chicken and season with remaining salt and pepper. Serve with the lemon wedges on the side.