- 3 (6 oz.) cans no-salt-added tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. brown mustard
- 2 Tbsp. instant espresso
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp. hickory flavored liquid smoke
- 1 Tbsp. coarse salt
- 2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 3 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs or a mixture
- Add tomato paste, water, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, mustard, instant espresso, red pepper flakes, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke and salt to slow cooker insert and stir until well combined.
- Add chicken in a single layer.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours, until internal temperature of chicken is at least 165°F.
- Once cooked, use tongs to move chicken breasts from slow cooker to a plate. Shred chicken using two forks. Return shredded chicken to slow cooker. Cover and cook for 20 minutes to allow chicken to soak up barbecue sauce.