Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowls
Bye-bye Chipotle. Time to make Chicken Burrito Bowls with the slow cooker.
Mexican food always inspires me to get in a better mood, so I’ve been really excited during our slow cooker chicken dinner series. Did you see those slow cooker carnitas? And those slow cooker fajitas? Oh my. This inspiration is something we seriously need in life, which is why I’m throwing my hat in the ring with these copycat Chipotle Chicken Burrito Bowls, done in the slow cooker. Bam!
This is a whole new level of delicious meal prep. Yes, you can totally prep this meal ahead of time. Make the chicken on a Sunday afternoon, then assemble the slow cooker chicken burrito bowls for the week. The key is to keep the cold ingredients (i.e. sour cream and salsa) on the side so you can warm up the bowls and top them when you’re ready to eat.
The entire meal is pretty darn easy to pull together. The flavorful, tender chicken is made in the slow cooker and with the chicken stock, tomato juices and spices it cooks in, it is oh-so easy to shred when you take it out. It’s that melt-in-your-mouth tender chicken that you attribute to Chipotle except with even MORE flavor.
The rest of the recipe takes about 5 minutes to assemble and there you go. You have lunches or dinner made ahead with very little work. Packaging each serving in its own container also makes it handy to top each bowl the way family members will enjoy it without going to a lot of work.
However, that’s only if you feel like sharing. I guarantee after one bite of these explosive flavors you’ll want to keep the recipe to yourself.
Slow Cooker Burrito Bowl
Yield: 4-6 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours
Total Time: 4 hours 10 minutes
- 3 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 and 1/2 tsp. lime juice
- 1 tsp. freshly chopped cilantro
- 1 cup black beans, drained
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1 cup pico de gallo
- 2/3 cup shredded Mexican style cheese
- Optional toppings: Hot salsa, sour cream, freshly chopped cilantro
- In the insert of a slow cooker, add chicken breasts, chicken stock, can of diced tomatoes, garlic powder, chili powder, onion powder, cumin powder, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Cook on high for 3 to 4 hours. Transfer chicken from the slow cooker to a bowl. Shred the meat using two forks. Set aside.
- To make the rice, stir together warmed up cooked rice with lime juice and cilantro. Set aside.
- To assemble the bowls, start with a base of cilantro lime rice. Top with shredded chicken, black beans, pico de gallo, Mexican style cheese and avocado. Serve with hot salsa, sour cream and additional freshly chopped cilantro.