Did you know Coq au Vin literally means, “Rooster in Wine?” Now you do! Let’s swap out the rooster and make it with chicken. We’ll keep the wine in, of course. And we’re going to make it in the slow cooker for an easy twist.
Many people, myself included, may be familiar with Coq au Vin because of the oh-so-popular home chef Julia Child. When thinking of her and this fabulous French dish, her famous quote came to mind: “I enjoy cooking with wine, sometimes I even put it in the food!” No wonder Coq au Vin is such an incredible meal!
The wine is not only essential for sipping, but it also serves 2 main purposes here. First off, the red wine adds a deep, rich flavor and secondly, the acid helps tenderize the chicken.
The beauty of cooking Coq au Vin in the slow cooker is that it adds even more tenderness and allows the flavors to further blend together. If you don’t already have a slow cooker, Coq au Vin is a good reason to get one. This is the one that we love over here at The Cookful.
Coq au Vin appears complicated, but in reality, it’s a very simple French dish and is made even simpler when using the slow cooker. That’s why we simply had to add it to this slow cooker chicken dinner series. Typically you’ll find potatoes in Coq au Vin, but I prefer to serve it over mashed potatoes instead.
This beautiful dish is simply delicious and not at all intimidating. Trust me!Print
- 6 slices bacon, thick cut, chopped 1/2 inch
- 6 chicken thighs, skin removed
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 12 oz. button mushrooms, quartered
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 5 oz. pearl onions, blanched & peeled
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 and ¼ cups low or no-sodium chicken stock
- 1 and ½ cups red wine (pinot noir)
- 1 tsp. ground thyme
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1 sprig rosemary, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parsley for garnish
- Heat a medium-sized heavy-duty skillet over medium heat and add the chopped bacon. Cook for about 6-7 minutes, removing from heat before bacon gets too crispy. Place bacon and drippings in bottom of slow cooker.
- In a separate nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter and add the skinless chicken thighs. Cook until chicken is lightly browned on each side, about 3 minutes. Place chicken in slow cooker right on top of bacon.
- Then, add mushrooms to skillet and cook for 3 minutes over medium heat. Then add in carrots, celery, pearl onions and garlic. Cook these vegetables for another 5 minutes and transfer to the slow cooker.
- In the slow cooker add in chicken broth, red wine, thyme, bay leaves, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 6-7. Garnish with fresh parsley.