This queso is made with real cheddar cheese instead of a processed cheese. It’s also made in the slow cooker so it’s simpler than ever to make.
As Americans, it’s in our nature to enjoy dunking things in cheese. Go to any tailgating event or sports watch-a-thon and there’s bound to be a bowl of queso surrounded by a pile of tortilla chips.
Luckily, it’s quite simple to throw together a good chile con queso and it works well for feeding a large crowd. While a processed cheese such as Velveeta may be the gold standard (pun intended) in most queso dip recipes, we wanted to give regular shredded cheddar cheese a try as a less-processed alternative.
Let’s jump in!Print
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (15 oz.) can no-bean chili
- 1 (10 oz.) can mild diced tomatoes & green chiles (like Rotel), drained
- 8 oz. 2% milk
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. chipotle chili pepper seasoning
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp. salt
- Add all ingredients to a slow cooker, cover and set on low to cook for 2 hours. Stir to combine ingredients and continue to cook, covered, for 1 more hour. Keep the slow cooker on warm setting to keep warm when serving. Serve queso with tortilla chips.