Slow Cooker Tater Tot Casserole uses all the ingredients of a traditional hotdish with the convenience of being able to prep dinner in the morning and have it ready when you want to eat.
If you’re looking for a tasty dinner idea with minimal effort, this delivers. Slow Cooker Tater Tot Casserole is similar to our Classic Tater Tot Casserole (Hotdish) and is perfect for busy nights. You can use wild rice or pasta, but if you use frozen tater tots like we do, the meal is assembled faster since they don’t require any additional prep work.
What meat should you use?
This casserole is made with lean ground beef, but you can choose any other ground meat such as chicken, pork, or beef.
Can you make it vegetarian?
Yes. You can definitely make this dish vegetarian. Simply omit the meat and you will still have delicious meal. Note that it will make a much smaller quantity though. Instead of beef you could also use cooked lentils or black beans. You could also sauté mushrooms and add them in place of the beef.
Can you freeze this dish?
You can make it ahead and freeze it if you want. However, if you do this (not freezing it as leftovers), I suggest not cooking the hash browns before freezing the dish. The reason for this is that the hash browns will take the same amount of time to cook the second time, plus they can dry out. Place the casserole in an airtight container, close tightly, and freeze it for up to 3 months.
What side dish goes best with this meal?
Slow Cooker Tater Tot Casserole is a complete dish with the meat, starch, and veggies like corn and green beans. However, this casserole also goes well with lettuce salads such as Wilted Lettuce Salad or Classic Wedge Salad.
- Brown the meat before adding to the slow cooker.
- The tater tots won’t get crispy in the slow cooker.
- You can also make this dish with wild rice or macaroni instead of hash browns.
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 9 (14 oz.) can green beans, drained
- 1 (12 oz.) can corn, drained
- 1 (10 oz.) can condensed mushroom soup*
- 16 oz. frozen tater tots
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Heat oil in a large frying pan, add ground beef and onion and cook on medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes. Season with salt, garlic powder, and black pepper.
- Set slow cooker to high, add meat with onion to the slow cooker, then mix in green beans, corn, and condensed mushroom soup. Top with frozen tater tots arranged in oval or circular pattern and cook for 1 hour or more.
- Top with shredded cheddar cheese about 30 minutes before serving, and cook until cheese is melted.
- If you want more sauce in your casserole, add an additional 10 ounce can of condensed mushroom soup.