- 16 oz. extra-firm tofu
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 poblano pepper, cut into large slices
- ½ onion, cut into large slices
- 1 tomato, roughly chopped
- ½ cup water
- 1 chipotle in adobo plus 1 tsp. adobo
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp. ancho chile powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- Press tofu with paper towels until mostly dry. If you have a tofu press, use this first to get extra water out of the tofu.
- Cut the tofu into large pieces. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add olive oil. Add pieces of tofu and brown on all sides, about 10 – 15 minutes.
- While cooking the tofu, in a food processor, add poblano pepper, onion, tomato, water, chipotle and adobo sauce, lime juice, garlic, ancho chile powder, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- You’ll want to break up the tofu into smaller pieces next. You can either remove the tofu from the skillet and chop into fine pieces or use a wooden spoon and break it up in the pan.
- Add sauce and tofu to the skillet and let simmer for 10 minutes until some of the extra moisture has been reduced. Serve warm or cool and store in an airtight container until ready for use.