- 4 large tomatoes, sliced
- 1 and 1/2 tsp. salt, divided
- 1 deep dish pie crust
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 10 basil leaves, julienned, about 2 Tbsp
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Lay out sliced tomatoes on paper towels and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of the salt and allow to sit for 20-30 minutes to let the moisture release from the tomatoes.
- While the tomatoes are sitting, use a fork to poke holes in the bottom of your pie crust and bake for 10 minutes.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine sliced onion and basil.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cheddar, mozzarella, mayonnaise, garlic powder and remaining 1/2 tsp. of salt.
- When the tomatoes and pie crust are done, layer in the following order: tomatoes, onion & basil mixture, tomatoes, onion & basil mixture, cheese mixture, tomatoes.
- Lower the oven temperature to 350°F. Bake for 30 minutes. If browning, cover with aluminum foil. Add more time if the cheese needs to melt more.
- Slice and serve.