Replace the rice with farro in this fried rice recipe. It’s so tasty and good for you too.
The other day I told you about how you can use farro in place of pasta to make a bolognese farro baked dish. Today’s fried “rice” dish has a similar idea where you switch out one carb for another, except here you’re subbing farro in for rice instead of pasta.
What Is Farro?
Farro is a very healthy grain with lots of nutrients and fiber. You can use it in a variety of dishes that call for rice. You’ll have to adjust the cooking times but the final dish will be delicious. To find out how to cook farro, head over here. If you can’t find farro in your grocery store (not all stores carry it) you can get it online. I like this farro from Bob’s Red Mill.
How To Make Fried Farro
MAKING FRIED FARRO
This recipe is similar to fried rice dishes I’m sure you’ve had before, but with farro! This one has delicious sesame and soy flavors, scrambled egg, tofu, cashews, and green onion. It works as either a side dish or as a main course.
To make it, you cook the farro according to these instructions. Then you add it to some oil in a large skillet or wok with some soy sauce. To that you add roasted cashews, pre-marinated and baked tofu (have you seen this stuff? I love it! It’s the best tofu ever, hands down), and scrambled eggs. Warm everything through and then serve topped with chopped green onions.
You can definitely customize it with your favorite ingredients. Want to add carrots and peas? Go for it. Not a tofu fan? Add chopped, cooked chicken instead. Have fun with it. And if you’re looking for more inspiration, check out this Shrimp Fried Rice recipe.
I hope you really love this recipe. I definitely do!Print
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 3 cups cooked farro (learn how to cook it here)
- 2 tsp. soy sauce
- ¾ cup roasted cashews
- 1 (9.2 oz.) package marinated and baked tofu, cubed
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium low heat. Crack the eggs into a small bowl and mix them up really well. Pour them into the skillet and then tip the skillet around to spread them out. Cook until set completely, 2-3 minutes. Loosen with a spatula underneath and then roll the egg up jelly-roll-style. Transfer it to a cutting board and slice thinly into spirals. Set aside.
- Heat the vegetable and sesame oil in a large skillet or wok over medium heat. Add the farro and soy sauce, stir to heat through, 4-5 minutes. Add the cashews, tofu and eggs spirals. Stir gently and heat through, 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Serve topped with green onions.