- ½ raw egg yolk
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ¼ tsp. sherry vinegar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. dry mustard powder
- 2 Tbsp. chopped shallot
- 2 Tbsp. capers, chopped
- 4 oz. filet mignon steak
- 1 Tbsp. chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- Sliced baguette, to serve
- In a medium bowl whisk together the egg yolk, olive oil, sherry vinegar, salt, and black pepper. Mix in the mustard powder, shallot, and capers. Set aside.
- Trim any fat off of the filet.
- Slice the filet as thinly as you can into wide strips. Slice the wide strips into the thinnest slices that you can. Chop the slices into the smallest pieces that you can.
- Gently combine the chopped steak with the egg yolk mixture, making sure it is thoroughly mixed but not over-mixed.
- Put a 3 and ½ inch diameter round cookie cutter* onto a serving plate. Fill with the steak mixture. Press gently down on the meat to set it. Remove the cookie cutter.
- Top the meat evenly with the lemon zest and the parsley. Arrange slices of baguette around the meat and serve.
*If you don’t have a cookie cutter, you can use a ramekin or two. Lightly grease the inside of the ramekin. Fill with the meat mixture. Gently press the meat to set it. Invert the ramekin on a plate and tap it to release the meat.