- 1 loaf French bread, fresh, sliced in ½-inch thick slices
- 6 Tbsp. butter (for melting in pan)
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup thinly sliced fresh strawberries
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- ⅓ cup plain yogurt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract, divided
- 1 tsp. vanilla bean paste
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- In a stand mixer, beat together all ingredients for the filling: cream cheese, strawberries, powdered sugar, yogurt, 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla, and the vanilla bean paste. Set aside.
- In a shallow bowl or container, whisk together the eggs, whole milk, cinnamon, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Taking 2 slices of the French bread, spread up to two tablespoons of the filling on each side, being sure to match up the sides so when you close it like a sandwich the bread slices match up. Place a layer or two of strawberries on one side, and then place the pieces of bread together.
- Dunk each side into the egg wash, letting any extra egg drip off.
- In a pan over medium heat, melt two tablespoons butter. Place French toast sandwich in the pan. Be sure to keep an eye on your French toast to prevent it from burning. It will take approximately 2-3 minutes each side. Flip once first side is browned. Cook on second side until browned and filling is heated through.
- Enjoy with additional strawberries on top, powdered sugar, and/or maple syrup.