Diets often mean you can’t enjoy your favorite comfort food. Well, we’ve got news for you. With a few simple changes you can enjoy meatloaf even on a Keto diet.
While meatloaf is fairly easy to make diet-friendly, there are a few ingredients in our Classic Meatloaf that need to be swapped in order to make it Keto-friendly. Both breadcrumbs and ketchup are high in sugar and carbs and a definite no-no for keto meatloaf. But don’t you worry about that. We’ve got that problem solved for you.
Making Meatloaf Keto
These swaps are pretty easy to make. Almond flour makes a great breadcrumb substitution and we think you’ll be surprised by the result – you can’t even taste the difference and it keeps the meatloaf really moist.
As for the ketchup, you’ll need a sugar-free/low carb version which you can buy or make yourself. We found a great recipe for low-carb ketchup from Wholesome Yum. For a low carb side you’ve got to go with our Mashed Cauliflower.
- 1 Tbsp. cooking oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 lb. lean ground beef
- 2 Tbsp. sugar-free ketchup, divided
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp. mustard
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer onion to a large bowl.
- To the bowl add ground beef, 1 tablespoon of the sugar-free ketchup, almond flour, Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, pepper and egg. Use your hands to evenly mix the spices into the meat, being careful not to overmix.
- Line a large baking sheet with foil. Transfer meat to baking sheet and shape into a 10×5 inch loaf. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir together remaining 1 tablespoon of ketchup with mustard. Remove meatloaf from oven and spread with ketchup mixture. Return meatloaf to oven and bake until internal temperature on an instant read thermometer is 160°F., about 10-20 more minutes. Remove meatloaf from oven and let rest for 10-15 minutes before serving.