Quesadillas are made insanely healthy with sweet potatoes and black beans. And whoa, are these ever delicious too!
I took the above picture for Produce for Kids a couple of years ago. I didn’t create the recipe though. They did. When I first read the recipe, I was skeptical of the flavor combination: sweet potatoes, black beans, and cheese.
Sweet Potatoes And Black Beans
Honestly, it sounded like a weird combo. I was so wrong. These are some of the best quesadillas I’ve ever had. I couldn’t stop eating them. Those guys have good instincts on flavor and on making things healthy.
I think it’s the creaminess of the sweet potatoes that makes these quesadillas so good. It somehow seemed like they had way more cheese than there was because of it. Mmmmm. I think you’re going to love these.
If you’re a sweet potato lover like we are, be sure to check out our whole Sweet Potato Series. You’ll find more reasons than ever to love sweet potatoes with our recipes, tips, and how-tos.Print
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 can low sodium black beans, drained, rinsed
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 Tbsp. low sodium taco seasoning
- 8 whole wheat tortillas
- 1 cup low-fat shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Prick sweet potato with fork and microwave for 5 minutes on HIGH. Let cool slightly.
- Cut in half lengthwise and scoop flesh into large bowl. Mash until smooth.
- Combine beans, cilantro, and seasoning to sweet potato and mix well.
- Heat skillet over medium heat.
- Spread sweet potato mixture evenly on one side of tortilla, sprinkle with cheese and place second tortilla on top.
- Cook 3-4 minutes or until cheese is melted. Flip and cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas and mixture. Cut into quarters.