Air fryer potato skins are a quick way to make one of one of your restaurant favorites! It only takes a few ingredients to pull together and will always be a crowd-pleaser.
These potato skins turn out perfectly crispy without the hassle of having to heat up the oven (and your house). Just top with shredded cheese, bacon, sour cream, and green onions and you have a perfect appetizer.
Do you need to cook the potatoes before making the potato skins?
Yes, you’ll want to cook the potatoes before making the potato skins. You’re free to bake them, but microwaving the potatoes will work just fine and is much quicker. If you’re looking for a way to microwave baked potatoes, be sure to check out this recipe.
How long do you have to air fry the potato skins?
Since the potatoes are already cooked through, you don’t need to actually cook the potato skins long in the air fryer. Once you spray the inside and outside of the potato skin with cooking spray or an oil sprayer, it only takes 6-8 minutes to crisp up the edges and brown them for a really nice crunch.
Once that’s done, you’ll top them with some shredded cheddar and bacon then cook again to make sure the cheese is melted and bacon is warmed through. This only takes about 2 minutes so keep an eye on them.
What do you top the potato skins with?
Here are a few common topping options but feel free to try new combinations too:
- Shredded cheddar
- Bacon bits
- Sour cream
- Diced green onions
Can you make these without an air fryer?
Yes. To make these in the oven, you’ll want to use our recipe for best baked potato skins. They might take a little longer in the oven, but you can microwave the potatoes to cook them through if you want to save a few minutes.
If you’re in the market for an air fryer, we like this one.
What can you do with the scooped out potato?
Definitely don’t waste the inside of the potatoes. The best way to use them is to make mashed potatoes. These Garlic Mashed Potatoes are delicious and full of flavor. Just adjust the garlic, half and half, whole milk, and butter for the amount of potatoes you have left.Print
- 4 russet potatoes
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 tsp. salt (or to taste)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 pieces of bacon, cooked and diced
- 1/4 cup sour cream, to top
- 4 green onion tops, chopped
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F.
- Clean potatoes and poke holes in each potato with a fork, 5 – 6 times. Place potatoes on a plate and microwave the potatoes for 5 minutes. Flip, then cook for an additional 5 minutes. If a fork doesn’t go into the potato easily after the second time in the microwave, continue cooking for additional 1 minute increments until cooked through.
- Cut each potato in half and scoop out about half the potato. Set scooped potato aside.
- Spray inside and outside of scooped out potato with cooking spray and season lightly with salt.
- Place 4 of the halves in the basket, skin side down, and crisp up a bit, cooking for 6-8 minutes.
- Add the shredded cheddar and bacon bits and cook until the cheese melts and the bacon gets warm, another 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish with sour cream and sprinkle green onion on top. Serve warm.