If the ice cream man sold these grown up strawberry lemonade popsicles all of my neighbors and I would be chasing the van down the street. They’re delish!
Ahhh… Lemonade. What is better to refresh yourself after a long Summer afternoon outside with your kids, pets, or hey… doing yard work! Have you ever had subpar lemonade? Yeah, me too. Instead of keeping this Grown Up Strawberry Lemonade recipe in liquid form, I opted to freeze them and turn them into Grown Up Strawberry Lemonade Popsicles. Nothing subpar there!
These popsicles are “Grown Up” because they are spiked with a bit of classy white wine and sweetened with simple syrup infused with thyme.
The basis for simple syrup is just sugar and water heated up until the sugar melts and dissolves into the water. It really is that simple, hence the name. Since lemons are really sour, you will need this to balance that out. Without the heat, it is really difficult to dissolve the sugar into the lemon juice and water.
What’s great about heating up the sugar and water that we can add a more grown up flavor. I really love to infuse simple syrup with herbs. You can use basil, rosemary or thyme. All you have to do is add the herbs when you remove the mixture from the heat and then let it infuse while the syrup cools.
For these frozen lemonade pops I also used strawberries to jazz things up a bit. The same thing can be done with virtually any type of fruit. The combinations are endless with simple syrup and lemonade!
I used a popsicle maker and sticks for these but you can just as easily use small dixie cups or any other container and stick combo you desire!
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4–5 thyme sprigs
- 6 lemons
- 1/2 cup strawberries
- 2 oz. dry white wine
- In a medium saucepan, combine the water and sugar and heat on medium-low heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat and add the thyme sprigs and let steep for 5-10 minutes.
- After steeping, drain the simple syrup mixture away from the thyme sprigs.
- Juice the lemons and add the juice and the white wine to the thyme simple syrup.
- Hull and slice the strawberries. Add the strawberries and the mixture to the bowl of a food processor or blender and pulse until strawberries are blended with the liquid.
- Pour the mixture into the popsicle maker and add the popsicle sticks. Freeze overnight.