Grilled cheese isn’t just for lunch anymore. Here’s a Breakfast Grilled Cheese with bacon and oranges that everyone’s going to love waking up to.
If you’re looking for great grilled cheese ideas, you’ve definitely come to the right place. We’re all about coming up with fun twists on grilled cheese sandwiches for National Grilled Cheese Month (it’s in April, in case you didn’t know). Let’s see…what are the coolest ones?
Well, there’s this Homemade Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons. There’s a Nacho Grilled Cheese (it has Doritos in it!). A Vegan Grilled Cheese over here. And the craziest one we have, the Donut Grilled Cheese. Don’t judge. Just try it.
Breakfast Grilled Cheese
Today’s grilled cheese sandwich isn’t as zany as that one but it is pretty unique. It’s a breakfast grilled cheese with orange slices in it. Why?
Well, orange juice and breakfast just go together. Right? It seemed natural to put that orange flavor right up in that sandwich. So we did.
Nice crispy breakfast bacon, toasty bread, melty cheese, and slices of orange for that bright breakfast burst of flavor. We even put some maple syrup in the butter. All your favorite breakfast flavors in each bite!
Happy Grilled Cheese Month!
- 1 and ½ Tbsp. softened butter
- 1 tsp. maple syrup
- 2 oz. shredded aged cheddar
- 2 hand-sliced 3/4 inch slices whole wheat bread
- ½ large navel orange, pith and peel removed, sliced ¼ inch thick to yield 4 slices
- 2 slices crisply cooked bacon
- Preheat a non-stick skillet or well-seasoned cast iron skillet over medium-low heat.
- In a small bowl use a fork to mash together the butter and maple syrup until well combined. Spread half of the butter mixture onto one side of one slice of bread. Spread the other half onto one side of the other slice of bread.
- Place each slice of bread buttered side down into the preheated pan. Sprinkle half of the cheddar onto the top side of each slice. Arrange the bacon in a single layer on one slice. Cover the pan and cook for 7-10 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the underside of the bread slices is browned.
- To a cutting board, transfer the slice of toasted bread that has the bacon. Arrange the orange slices over the bacon in a single layer. Invert the second slice of bread onto the orange slices such that orange and cheddar meet. Cut in half to serve.