Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole is a tasty egg casserole made with meat, eggs, and tater tots. It’s a great breakfast dish for the weekend breakfast or holiday brunch.
What meat can you use?
Any type of ground meat, especially sausage, will work well, including vegetarian sausage. You could also use pre-cooked cubed ham or bacon. If you use bacon, precook it and break it into bits before adding it.
Can you make this ahead of time?
Yes. You can assemble the whole dish and refrigerate it without baking it or you can pre-bake it and warm it up the next day. That being said, it will take almost as long to warm it up as it takes to cook so you are better off refrigerating it without baking it first.
The tater tots will thaw and may soak up some of the cooking liquid, but won’t be an issue for the dish. If that’s something you’re concerned about, try just cooking the meat ahead of time and assembling in the morning or mix everything the night before then top with tater tots right before baking.
Can you freeze this casserole?
Yes. You’ll want to wrap it tightly before putting it in your freezer. You can freeze it for up to three months.
When you want to make the dish be sure to thaw it overnight in your refrigerator. Bake as normal and you should be all set. You’re just looking for the eggs to be cooked through.
What if you only have frozen hash browns on hand?
No worries. We’ve got you covered. This classic Breakfast Casserole uses frozen shredded hash browns instead and is a great alternative.
What should you top this tater tot breakfast casserole with?
We topped our breakfast casserole with diced tomatoes and green onions to bring a little brightness to the dish, but really, you can top it with just about anything.
- Protein-packed – Cook up some extra bacon to add bacon bits on top. Poach eggs to top if you want that nice runny egg yolk.
- Italian-inspired – Use some diced tomatoes and basil. Switch out the cheddar for mozzarella.
- Mexican-inspired – Top it with sliced avocados, diced red onion, cilantro and salsa.
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole is a tasty egg casserole made with meat, eggs, and tater tots. It’s a great breakfast dish for a weekend or holiday brunch.
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 45 Minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 8 Servings
- 1 lb. sausage
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 (32 oz.) bag frozen tater tots
- 1 cup finely chopped tomatoes
- Diced green onion or chives, to top
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, break up and cook sausage through until no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Drain off any fat.
- Put cooked sausage in a 9×13 casserole dish then top with shredded cheddar cheese.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Pour over top the sausage and cheese.
- Arrange frozen tater tots on top of the egg and sausage mixture .
- Bake until eggs are set and tater tots are browned, about 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with a small amount of finely chopped tomatoes and green onions or chives. Serve warm.