Who knew you can make a traditional tomato chutney in your own kitchen? You’ll be surprised how easy it is to prepare tomato chutney with fresh ingredients that you can find in your local store.
The primary ingredients in tomato chutney are red or green tomatoes. You can use them in any way: diced, mashed or crushed. However, for today’s recipe we will use diced red tomatoes.
To enhance the flavor of the tomatoes, we add diced onions and freshly chopped ginger. Then, we need to add some sweet and tangy ingredients. Instead of using regular vinegar, add wine vinegar that has a fruity accent. A little bit of sugar, sweet paprika and salt is also necessary to make our tomato chutney tasty. And of course, in the end we need a little spiciness, which we get by adding chili powder.
Once the tomato chutney is done cooking you can refrigerate it for another day or seve immediately with kebabs, burgers or sandwiches. It will also pair perfectly with any type of meat and is great served over toasted baguette or basic garlic toast.Print
- 3 and ½ cups diced tomatoes
- 2 cups diced onions
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh ginger
- ⅓ cup wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. sweet paprika
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. chili powder
- In a medium-sized pot combine tomatoes, onions, pressed garlic, chopped fresh ginger, wine vinegar, sugar, sweet paprika, salt and chili powder.
- Cook on high for 10 minutes, mixing often.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover tomato chutney and cook for 90 minutes. Mix often to prevent the tomato chutney sticking to the pan.