- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1–28oz. can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 cup medium-heat low-sodium chunky salsa
- 1 (15.25 oz.) can low-sodium black beans, drained
- 24 tortilla chips
- Optional Meat*
- Optional Toppings**
- Put a large pot or Dutch oven on the stove over high heat. Pour in the chicken stock, diced tomatoes, and salsa. Cover and let it come to a boil. Reduce heat to low.
- Add the black beans and optional meat, if using. Let everything heat through for 2 minutes.
- To serve: Get out soup bowls and crunch 2 tortillas into each bowl. Ladle soup into the bowls on top of tortilla chips. Crunch another 2 tortillas onto the top of each. Garnish with optional toppings, if desired.
*If you’d like meat in this soup, you can add 2 cups of cubed or shredded cooked chicken, beef, or pork. You can also use 2 cups of cooked ground meat like ground beef or ground chicken. 3/4 pound of cooked shrimp is lovely in there. Or you can add some cured meat like chopped smoked turkey lunchmeat, cubed ham, chopped cooked bacon, or chopped kielbasa or other fully-cooked sausage.
**If you have any of the following, add all or some of them as garnishes to the tops of the bowls of soup right before serving. Per bowl of soup add: 2 tablespoons of shredded cheddar or other cheese, 2 tablespoons diced tomatoes, 2 tablespoons chopped avocado, 1 tablespoon sliced black olives, 1 tablespoon chopped green onion, 1 teaspoon chopped cilantro, a dollop of sour cream, some jarred (drained) or fresh sliced jalapeno.