Get our easy slow cooker chili recipe, featuring ground turkey and kale. You won’t believe how good it is or how quickly it gets into that slow cooker.
So if you’ve been following our kale series, or if you follow me on my blog COOKtheSTORY, you probably know that I do a lot of recipe development and photography work for Produce for Kids. I mention them a lot, because I love them a lot. But there’s this thing that happens with them sometimes. They send me the recipes that I’ll be cooking and photographing, I’ll look at the instructions or ingredients on one and be like, “No way. This can’t be right.” That’s how I felt about the Sweet Potato and Black Bean Quesadillas when I first saw the recipe, “What? Sweet potatoes in quesadillas? With cheese too? Yuck.” And then I made them and they were soooooo gooooooood.
Well, that’s sort of what happened for this recipe. I looked at the 2 lines of instructions and saw immediately that the ground turkey was going into the slow cooker without being cooked first. Na-uh. This can’t be good. I was wrong again. I tell yah, working with the Produce for Kids women has humbled me and my food snobiness, for sure.
Anyhow, I was super-wrong about this slow cooker chili recipe. It’s delicious. And ridiculously easy to make. All you do is put your raw ground turkey, kale, bell pepper, garlic, black beans, corn, diced tomatoes, broth and seasonings into the slow cooker. Just put them all in there. Stir and let it cook. That’s it. And then you can’t stop eating it. Or at least I couldn’t stop, yes, with a look of total disbelief on my face the entire time ;).
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, seeded, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 and 1/2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 and 1/2 Tbsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 cans (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (15 oz.) low-sodium black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz.) no salt added corn, drained
- 3/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups organic mixed baby kale
- 1 cup 2% plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup unsalted tortilla chips, crushed
- Add turkey, onion, bell pepper, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, tomato paste, tomatoes, black beans, corn, broth and kale to slow cooker, and cook on low 8 hours.
- Top with Greek yogurt and tortilla chips to serve.
Recipe courtesy of Produce for Kids.