These Ultimate Smashed Potatoes make potatoes exciting for weeknight meals or party appetizers.
You haven’t lived until you’ve tried my ultimate smashed potatoes. You get the best of both worlds – boiled and roasted potatoes – all in one dish. Not only do they provide a crispy, starchy base that can be topped with almost anything (hello, easy party apps!), they’re also the perfect dish to make when you have some…shall we say, aggression, to take out.
All jokes aside, these smashed potatoes are a tasty spin on a classic roasted potato that are perfect whether you decide to serve them up plain or covered in your favorite baked potato toppings.
We’ll start by par-boiling baby bliss, small red or multi-colored potatoes to make them easy to smash, then we roast them to crisp perfection.
Then all that’s left to decide is how your family will choose to top them. Sour cream? Cheese? Bacon? Green onion? How about all of the above? After all, they are Ultimate Smashed Potatoes.Print
- 1 and ½ lbs. baby bliss potatoes
- 1 and ½ Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 and ¾ tsp. salt, divided
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup Parmesan
- ½ cup sour cream – optional
- 2 Tbsp. green onion – optional
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Fill a large stockpot with about 8 cups of water and 1 teaspoon of salt. Place on the stove over high heat and bring to a boil.
- Scrub the potatoes, and when the water has boiled, add the potatoes. Let them cook for 15 minutes or until they’re tender but not mushy.
- Drain and dry the potatoes and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Pour the olive oil, remaining ¾ teaspoon of salt, garlic and black pepper over them and toss everything well.
- Using the bottom of a glass, press down on the potatoes, smashing them so they’re flat on both sides, but are still holding together as nice rounds.
- Place into the oven for 15 minutes then remove them from the oven and flip each potato over. Place them in the oven for 10 minutes more. Remove them again and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese. Place back in the oven for 5 minutes and they’re ready to serve.
- If desired, top with green onion and sour cream or your favorite toppings.