11 Creative Uses for Leftover Pesto
We’re all used to pesto on pasta, but what else is is great with? Let’s look some delicious and new ways to use all that glorious sauce.
So you made a batch of our best ever pesto and didn’t use it all? You can totally freeze it for later. Better yet, keep it in your fridge for a few days because we’re going to show you that you can grab that jar of leftover pesto and use it in a whole bunch of new ways.
- Try it with baked brie. Talk about elegant. Spread a line of pesto over the top of the brie. Serve with fancy crackers.
- Upgrade your omelet. Add some pesto to the top of your favorite omelet. Sprinkle some cheese on top of the omelet. It’s a breakfast dish worthy of Instagram.
- Pizza can get creative with using pesto as the sauce. Top with fresh mozzarella, tomato and chicken. Or, having pizza delivery? Dip the crusts in pesto, on its own or mixed with mayonnaise, sour cream or Greek yogurt.
- Add it to your bread recipe. Add the pesto to your bread dough and bake. Serve with any delicious Italian meal.
- Skip the mayo and spread pesto on your sandwich. I like it with turkey, provolone and spinach.
- Use it as a marinade for your meats. Marinate for at least 30 minutes. Use on poultry or red meats. You can even add it to your ground sirloin to make pesto burgers.
- Add it to vegetables. It’s good mixed with butter and spread on corn on the cob. It’s delicious with green beans. My son likes a little pesto on his peas.
- Talking about vegetables, top your salad with pesto. It’s amazing mixed into a Caesar salad dressing. Do top the salad with lots of Parmesan cheese.
- Go breakfasty. Top toast with pesto, mozzarella and a poached egg. It’s filling and easy.
- Try it with creamy salads. Mix it in with egg salad, potato salad and chicken salad.
- Make pesto hummus. Mix 2 teaspoons of pesto with 1 cup hummus. Serve with thick slices of Italian bread.