This Chipotle inspired Vegan Burrito Bowl is the perfect meatless meal when you don’t feel like doing a lot of cooking but want a hearty filling meal.
How Should You Make The Rice?
Using a 2:1 ratio of water to rice is usually a great start for white rice. You can follow the same ratios if you have a rice cooker as well.
Rice cookers (or an Instant Pot) are super helpful because you don’t have to worry about the rice boiling over on the stove or watch it. You just set it and work on the other components of dinner while it cooks.
Another trick is rinsing the rice to help remove some of the starch from the surface, which also helps remove any debris. Removing that starch helps ensure that your rice won’t be gummy or that the grains won’t stick to each other as it cooks.
Chipotle is famous for their cilantro lime rice so to truly make it Chipotle-style, adding a bit of flavor to the rice is a must. You can add the cilantro and lime juice as well as zest once it’s cooked to add a little brightness to it. Some people also like to season it with cumin or chili powder to add even more depth.
Can You Make Any Of This Ahead Of Time?
Absolutely! It’s a great meal prep meal. Making the pico de gallo, sofritas, and sauteed vegetables ahead of time makes the rest of the meal a breeze.
If you’re able to, try keeping each ingredient in a separate container. Doing this, you can just assemble and reheat what you’d like, making it customizable for the picky eaters in your family.
What Order Should You Prepare Vegan Burrito Bowls?
To make sure you’re optimizing your time while other things are cooking, cook the rice, sauteed vegetables, and sofritas first so that you can cut and assemble things like the pico de gallo while you have some down time. If you don’t have much stove space, take that into consideration as well.
Can You Make Vegan Sour Cream?
You can! If you don’t have access to it or don’t want to buy it, this great vegan sour cream recipe is an option you’ll love. The base is made from cashews so it’s super creamy. You’ll even get a great tang from the combination of lemon juice and nutritional yeast too.
Any Other Ideas For Vegan Or Vegetarian Dinners?
You bet! Having some vegan and vegetarian dinner recipes on hand is great even if you’re a meat eater. Whether you want to do Meatless Mondays or have vegan friends, this Vegan Mac and Cheese and Easy Vegan Meatloaf are great options to have in your back pocket.
These Vegan Burrito Bowls are great because of the many combinations that you’re able to make. You can make the Chicken Burrito Bowl and have sofritas and vegan sour cream as an alternative option so everyone is able to make a great dish of their own.Print
- 2 cups rice
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 green or red bell peppers, seeded and sliced into strips
- ½ onion, sliced
- 1 beefsteak tomato, about 1 and ½ cups diced
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Black beans
- Shredded lettuce
- Sour cream
- Add rice to a fine mesh strainer and rinse with water.
- In a medium saucepan, add water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add in rice and salt.
- Lower heat and bring to a simmer. Cover the saucepan and let sit without removing the lid or stirring for 18-20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and drain any leftover water. Replace the lid and let sit for 5 minutes to steam. Fluff with a fork then add chopped cilantro, lime juice, and lime zest and stir until incorporated. Set aside until ready to serve.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add in sliced bell pepper and onions and stir so they’re coated. Cook through until fork tender and slightly browned, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure they don’t burn.
- In a medium bowl, add diced tomato, cilantro, red onion, diced jalapeño, lime juice, and salt. Stir until combined and set aside until ready to serve.
- In a bowl, add in rice, sauteed vegetables, pico de gallo, sofritas, corn, black beans, shredded lettuce, and top with vegan sour cream. Enjoy!